Your experience on softphones—which one to chose?

Hi,

I am done with Zoiper (free). And I also would like push notifications.

• I tried MizuDroid.
  • I tried Linphone.
  • They work, but … not my taste.

I am now testing PortSIP UC.

• The audio in fantastic!
  • The interface (generally nice) does not display phone/caller ID properly.
  • There is no push notification; yet, it is not too hard on battery life.
  • SMS are not working in all cases. (I use another app for that anyway, but…)

I saw in a blog post that Acrobits was top on the list of recommendations.

• Is it worth the money?
  • How is the sound quality?
  • Does the push notification really work with voip.ms?

Thank you for your suggestions and experiences!
Alexandre

1 Like

I’ve tried many different softphone apps. I think Acrobits is very good and worth the one time payment. I would recommend Acrobits Groundwire for the extra few bucks over the Acrobits Softphone app if you need voicemail feature (i.e. automatic notification of new voicemail and ability to just tap voicemail icon to retrieve messages). Yes, the push notifications does work. So, you can actually close the app on iPhone and Android and still get notified of incoming calls. This alone is a great feature because many other softphone apps will only work when they are running or if they do have a push notification feature it may be a premium feature with an extra charge.

1 Like

Thank you very much Jeff (@BTech),

I bought it a couple days ago and I am very happy with the application. It works very well, is well integrated, and saves a lot of battery power with the push notifications. I find it much better than all the other softphone solutions I tried so far.

It was a little bit complicated for me to find the right settings to make it work with TLS since the wiki does not say how to, but after that, it just worked! (As one would expect.)

Thank you for sharing your experience, it helped me make try it. And I am quite happy with it.

Best regards,
Alexandre

1 Like

Hey @aleclerc would be great if you could share the settings you are using, I see several options in groundwire.

tx

Hi @mdastous,

Yes, there are a lot of options and I am not using them all. :slight_smile:

I am very happy with Groundwire and still recommend over any other free or paid app I tried over the years. It did not miss a single call, tells you if it was answered by another device, and very nice on battery life with push notifications.

So the settings I use are:
—Call encryption (a must for all my devices, period). You can see how to implement it here: :point_right: https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Acrobits_Groundwire#Call_Encryption_-_TLS.2FSRTP
—In the accounts: VoiceMail Number, Display Name, outgoing calls need registration, call waiting, expires at 300, subscription expires at 290; In Messaging, “SIMPLE” mode for SMS, Display calls answered elsewhere.
—Incoming calls: Push notifications.
—Call recording: display button.
—I am not using “Call integration” as it was discouraged due to probable issues on the wiki. But I do not have standard phone service on my device either, just the internet, and VoIP.
—In permissions I did grant “Do Not Disturb Access,” then, of course, mic, phone, contacts.

These are all standard features and I did not try the more advanced ones. But so far, so good.

Kind regards!
Alexandre

Ok thanks, I thought this was not covered by the wiki ( as mentionned in your original post), but looks it has been updated in the meantime.

I also enjoy groundwire a lot; just affraid there’s not much other alternatives, hopefully Acrobits continue to support for a long time.

Hello @mdastous,

There wasn’t indeed. I submitted the additional information which they kindly added to the wiki page. It will make things easier for everyone. :smiling_face: I will edit my post in this regard (if possible—nope, not possible, this makes too many days already). Thanks!

You are right, there are no other alternative for the price and quality it offers. And frankly, it works really great. Sound is excellent, and just does the job. You forget about it, it just works, and this is what you want at the end of the day. :+1:

Kind regards,
Alexandre