CallerID Verification for Outbound Calls with non-VoIP.ms Numbers

We have just launched a new module to allow customers to verify CallerID number(s) that are non-VoIP.ms numbers.

While this process is currently facultative for our existing customers, any net new customer who wishes to use a non-VoIP.ms number as outbound CallerID will have to go through a simple verification procedure.

If you already use non-VoIP.ms numbers as CallerID(s) or if you plan to do so in the near future, we highly recommend starting to verify your number(s) to avoid a tight deadline as this topic is quite hot amongst telecommunication regulators industry-wide.

Below are the steps to verify your non-VoIP.ms number(s) so they can be used as CallerID number(s). You can also check out our Wiki article for all the details right here: https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Caller_ID.

For Main Account:

1. Open your VoIP.ms Customer Portal, head over to Main Menu, Account Settings, then General Settings.
  2. Under the CallerID Number, select the ‘Click here to get started’.
  3. Add the phone number you want to register and choose your preferred method to obtain a validation code.
  4. Type the validation code received and click the verify button.
  5. After verifying your number, it will be available in the “Use a verified CallerID” option, or if you make use of a system capable of passing its own CallerID, calls will then go through.

For Sub Accounts:

1. Open your VoIP.ms Customer Portal, head over to Sub Accounts, Manage Sub Accounts, then edit the Sub Account of your choice.
  2. Follow the procedure detailed above.

If you are reselling VoIP.ms services, we have also made this verification procedure available through our White Label Portal. See all the details right here: https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Caller_ID.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us via Live Chat or e-mail at support@voip.ms.

1 Like

I don’t see how this is going to curb the number of scam calls. Seems to be more of an inconvenience to us regular users. At last check, the toll-free registration hasn’t worked so far. Just more unnecessary regulation.

So how am I suppose to forward an incoming call to my cell phone and know who called? I can’t verify every customer that calls into our system…

Also, how does that affect 911? If someone calls 911 from their softphone, isn’t their caller id suppose to go through so the address comes up right?

This feature as a whole is horrible and will break so many pbx systems.

Hello hessercan,

At the moment forwarding as a path route from external sources does require the callerID verification , this does not occur if you forward from within our service.

For e911 to work the DID number must have e911 service enabled.

Please check https://wiki.voip.ms/article/E911

Hello Boltronix,

One of the purposes of CallerID verification is to prevent callerID spoofing, we understand the concern and appreciate the feedback in this regard.

Well, I don’t see any difference given that it’s still happening.

OHH…you mean it’s to keep US HONEST people from spoofing. I get it now. LOL. Especially me given I have all my cell numbers, and other numbers I’ve used, stored in my account phone book. That should be verification enough.

There are valid reasons why some of us want to use a different Caller ID NUmber than the one associated with a particular DID.

The FCC and I think FTC have developed a system that requires calls to be associated with a verifyable owner. This process within Voip.Ms allows that.

The Spammers just choose a number that they do not own and use that number.

So with the new requirements, most spammers will be stopped spoofing but you will be able to spoof a number that you own/control.

As for still happening, yes, but I have personally detected a slowdown in calls. My Verizon caller ID Number is preeceded with a “V” for verified. I treat non-V calls as suspect.

Not all carriers had quickly implimented the new procedures and it is not a perfect solution. Scammers now send me emails with encourgement to call them, thus avoiding the issue. I usually call and engage them with profanity and have spoken with the same scammers multiple times. They have been using toll-free numbers which often get shut down within hours. To avoid them blocking ME, I use my various outbound numbers to call and speak to the same scamster as he thinks it is a different person :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FTC…pfft. LOL.
I’m sure there are other reasons why the FTC started doing what they were doing. So, like removing our toll-free for some government regulation or requirement, I’m not using outside numbers for outgoing calls. In fact, I’m removing those numbers from the portal sometime today.