A Way To Hide Fact That Number Is VOIP based?

I seem to be running into more times that I cannot register with a website that wants to use 2FA to “text or call”. Sometimes the response to my number is a general failure (so I’m not sure why it failed), but have some sites explain that my number is a VOIP number and they will not allow it.

Any tools out there in general or from voip.ms to mask this information?

Thanks.

Hello urbnsr,

Currently, we do not have any tools or settings available in the customer portal that would disable the identification of the numbers we operate as VoIP numbers in relation to regular carriers.We do apologize for the inconvenience.

Hello William,

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it.

Is there anything out there that would accomplish this (and it’s just not available to me)?

Hello urbnsr,

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience, but we regret to inform you that we do not have any additional information available on this matter. It is our understanding that carriers possess the capability to ascertain whether a number is classified as a VoIP number, and there is no method to conceal this information.

1 Like

Thank you William. I appreciate your time.

1 Like

What if you port in a non-voip number would that work? You could get a cheap prepaid mobile phone service and port it into voip.ms.

Which websites are you having issues with urbnsr?

1 Like

That is an interesting idea. May work, at least for awhile. Thanks jonjitsu. I don’t really know what tools they use to determine I’m using VOIP.

The problems seem to be coming from financial sites… Usually when used for 2FA .

No. Databases for phone updates on whether they are a “real” phone line or a VoIP line happen every few days usually so once you port a cell line into a VoIP provider if you wait a few days it can’t be added anymore (although if you added the line while it was still a real cell phone line depending on the app/company they will let you keep it but it is not guaranteed to work)

I did remember seeing a provider that offered “real” phone numbers that do not identify as VoIP but didn’t look into it too much. It’s called https://jmp.chat/ I don’t know if this is still current information as I looked into this years ago.

I have had issues for VoIP lines for chase bank, us bank, simplii financial, even stuff like Ritual food takeout, etc.

There are some “real” phone lines that offer VoWiFi if you had a spare phone that you could use with Google Messages that would identify as a “real” phone number and would also be accessible remotely. For example, mobileX, Red Pocket, etc.

1 Like

Thanks @Snuupy

I wonder how Comcast works their system? I have seen an installation that use a Comcast gateway-type device that I assume provides multiple SIP channels for Comcast service. I don’t know, but wonder if those numbers are basically VOIP numbers and Comcast is large enough make it look non-voip to anyone asking.

I seem to remember someone mentioning in the past of an online service that can be used to enter a number and it would return, at least, where the number routes through.

usually it’s VoIP for the frontend for those types of systems but it’s still the old PTSN on the backend so it’s not about size as much as it is about implementation afaik