ATA reccomendations

Hello! I’m currently using an Obi200 and it is showing it’s age. It does well for a stretch of time and then all of a sudden, no dial-tone and when I log into the UI, it’s asking for a firmware upload. Has anyone run into this issue?
Regardless, I’m looking to replace my ATA with something similar. Light use and support for call encryption. I’m looking at a Grandstream 801. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello @Gus1,

I had a HT701 for many years, and as you it died one day. It was no more possible to get it “registered.” I am now using the HT802 and it was a great upgrade for us! Both devices support well call encryption. You can find the instructions on the wiki:

https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Grandstream_HandyTone_802_-_HT802#Call_Encryption_-_TLS.2FSRTP

For the price difference, I took the HT802 instead of the HT801. The first line feeds all the home’s phones, and I use the second line for a fun project. I plugged an old phone (with a “bell-ringer”) in my shed. Not really useful nowadays, but fun.

So yeah, the HT801 looks like a good choice for what you want to do. :+1: It makes about a month or so I have it and so far works well and I feel the sound quality is better than the HT701 it replaced.

Kind regards,
Alexandre

Hi @aleclerc ,

Thank you for the advice! I really like the idea of the “bell-ringer” phone as I have an old rotary phone in my workshop, I may copy your project! Now I just need to stop stalking Amazon for the price to dip and just buy it!

Thanks again!
-Costa

Hi @Gus1,

Yeah, I know about that. :blush: I just looked and indeed, it was lower in January when I bought it (on Amazon US). I was surprised that it was cheaper to buy it there than the Amazon Canada store. After the exchange rate and everything, it was still cheaper from the US. But now the prices on the Canadian store are lower. It might be equivalent in fact.

Good luck! :blush:
Alexandre

1 Like

Hi @Gus1; Just to add my support to what @aleclerc said.

I have two HT802 devices to handle a handful of legacy POTS stuff in my home and they work perfectly. I have them configured to use SIP-TLS and encrypted SRTP calls to/from Voip.ms with no trouble.

I have had a number of ATA devices since the early 2000’s and retired all of them in favour of the HT802. The most important factor is the HT8xx devices are currently manufactured and enjoy regular firmware updates from Grandstream. Most of the other ATA devices out there are discontinued so they are either new-old-stock or used, and have no support at all. They have outdated firmware that’s probably insecure to use now.

BTW, in 2019 and 2021 when I bought mine new, I paid a dollar or two more or less what Amazon shows as the price today: $64.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thank you so much for the info @BruceW ! I really like that Grandstream updates the firmware regularly. I’m going to pull the trigger on the HT802. Much appreciated.

-Costa

2 Likes

Hi @BruceW,

You bring very good technical elements here!

Indeed, this is a very important point to consider. This is why I went again with their devices, and the quality/price ratio is quite good, in my opinion. This is a good device. You plug it, configure it, and forget about it. :sunglasses:

Kind regards,
Alexandre

2 Likes

Also use the HT802 here for the past 4 years. Once setup, I don’t need to babysit it. I use one port for our local IPPBX and, for a backup, configured the second port to register directly to our voip.ms sub account. Haven’t needed the backup, but nice to know it’s ready to go.

2 Likes