Repeated "Network Unavailable" errors, but no problem with network

For the last several months, as time permits, I have been trying to switch the office over to VOIP. Bought three new T33G phones (listed on VOIP.ms website), got an account, and set them up. Basically, they work (usually) - can send and receive calls. But all three exhibit random and intermittent failures, and not all at the same time. Everything will be sitting there idle. Suddenly one will post “Network unavailable” on the screen for about 10 to 15 seconds. Then “obtaining IP address”, and then all okay again.

During this time there is NOTHING wrong with the network. I have tried switching to local power and to PoE. I have switched them between 1Gbps and 200 Mbps. I’ve tried different switches. I’m on Gb Google Fiber, which is working fine. .I’ve tried just about everything I can think of. I’ve chatted with support a couple of time. They had suggestions (including switching servers), but it made no difference.

Basically, I’m tearing what little hair out that I have left. I do not believe there is anything WRONG anywhere - in that the phones appear to be fine, VOIP.ms obviously works, and my network works. I think it is some MINOR issue with a timer set incorrectly or something. Sometimes it will go all day without issue, and sometimes it will do it four or five times in an hour.

Any clues, ideas, or how I might get more information? Tnx.

If you haven’t already, make sure your phones and router are all running the latest firmware.

Assuming that’s already been done, I would recommend enabling logging on the phones. When you notice a phone go offline, export the log to your computer and have a look at the entries logged at the time the issue occurred to see if anything jumps out at you.

Instructions for enabling logging on a Yealink phone are here.

You may also want to enable logging on your router and check that log as well.

There is an old saying about “Can’t win for losing.” I enabled the logging on one of the phones, then waited a couple of days for the problem to occur. [I happens fairly often, but unless I am starring at the phone, I don’t see it.] Finally, in frustration, and for a test, stopped logging and downloaded the log. Looked okay, as close as I could tell. And error every 2 minutes - but no other warnings, etc.

Started the log back up, and PROBABLY caught an event - but now I can no longer read the syslog. They all have a password attached. I’ve even tried clearing both the Admin and User passwords on the phone and doing a new capture - program STILL wants a password to extract the syslog. So I am one step BACK from where I was … and the adventure continues.

1. Are you using TLS or TCP for your connection? Those tend to be more stable than UDP.
  2. Is each phone assigned to its own subaccount?

Yes and yes. Was using UDP, but one of the support folks had me change it to TCP.

And yes, each phone has its own sub-account. But now i am stuck with this password problem that i do not seem to be able to eliminate.

“Jumps out at you”?

Well, not exactly. I have the line where the log puts up the error message.

"Sep  9 13:17:12 GUI [913:913]: CUIT<6+info  > 832.200.263:[Warning center][Add][type:WT_NETWORK_FAILED]"

But I must admit, I am not much the wiser as to the cause. The only prior interesting thing would seem to be a message:

"Sep  9 13:17:12 GUI [913:913]: CUIT<6+info  > 832.128.617:[Warning center][Add][type:WT_ACCOUNT_REG_FAILED]"

Any ideas?