Anyone Else Having Issues With the VoIP.ms Softphone After the “Upgrades”?

When I worked in Complex Translations at AT&T, when making changes as a result of trouble ticket called in by a customer, occasionally the fix might create a new problem affecting numerous customers. We would immediately undo the fix to get everyone back to normal and THEN focus our attention on that original, single line trouble report.

For a service provider to simply ignore multiple complaints that THEY caused, is totally irresponsible.

1 Like

Same here. I put in a ticket after both my mobile devices were deemed unauthorized and I was told that it was because I’m on a dynamic IP… Like I have been for the last 10 years with this company. All of a sudden, they have decided this is a threat for some reason I cannot fathom. There are many more mature ways to handle this…

On a good note, I will say that since I opened the ticket and they simply told me that it was because of my dynamic IP, I have not been denied call privileges. I don’t know if they did anything or not…but that is absolutely negligent to roll out a change like that and not notify customers.

Honestly, I think sometimes they have no idea what they are doing and they just keep pressing buttons until the problem goes away. When it finally starts working again and you ask what they changed, you either get no answer at all or you get the classic “we cannot disclose that due to security concerns.” It really feels like they poke around until the error stops and then close the ticket.

Still seems to be ongoing. It got better for a few days and then I started getting blocked calls again with the delayed authorize email. I unblocked 2 different sub accounts and they have been working for another day. Will see how long it lasts this time.

They did the same thing with the change to 911. Put on a $75 charge but not tell the customers. Support claimed they told everyone, but I never found out until I logged into my portal.

They act like it is not a big deal, but when the authorize email takes 15 minutes to show up, nobody wants to wait that long to make a call.

Same thing happened to me with the 911 change. Even after clicking the button, the warning would not go away. For almost two months I could not access two pages in my web panel because that message kept blocking them.

I may have found a fix. I was able to pre-authorize an IP. I set my sub account used for my mobile device with an “IP Restriction”, providing the DNS name of the SIP proxy I’m using. It is a Dynamic DNS name (DDNS). So, if the IP provided by my ISP changes, so will the DNS name. Today, I got a new IP from my ISP. Calls worked without having to wait for an email. In fact, ATA devices at the same site as the SIP proxy also worked without issue. The ATA devices don’t use the proxy and I didn’t change their sub account. They just use the same IP as the SIP proxy. One IP address change is not much of a test. But it is a start.

Mine was eventually fixed, but only after multiple support requests and a lot of back‑and‑forth.

Having the same issue. All of our phones have been going down periodically. I’m still getting the “there’s nothing we can do, it’s an important security measure” responses from support.

Did they fix your issue permanently? Is there anything specific we can ask support to do?

Well, no. No permanent fix on my side.

I was again unable to make a call couple weeks ago while roaming. I had to way the so-slow five minutes before being able to make my call. :frowning:

I hope they can address that soon with at least a lightning fast email (like 15-30 seconds max) so IP addresses can be allowed.

Kind regards!

Sorry to hear that. I think it’s time for us to port our numbers and move on to another carrier then. Unfortunate since voip.ms worked well for us for years prior to this.

Regarding porting out, the problem is that you do not know what you are getting anymore. I went through two VoIP carriers before 2005 that were not great, but they were the only ones with a local number in my area, and that mattered at the time. Later, VoIPo came along with excellent ratings, and I switched. Their support was outstanding, and every issue was fixed within minutes. The owner, Tim, personally responded to everything.

Eventually things declined at VoIPo, and I received a notice saying I had about five days to port out my number or lose it. The company was going out of business, and recommended VoIP.ms and they said only they could complete the port in that short window. Most others probably could not. That is how I ended up here, trying to make the best of it.

It is difficult to find a company that truly cares or provides reliable service. My parents paid nearly $150 per month for a Verizon landline regulated by the Public Utility Commission, and it was still unreliable. There was static most of the time, and outages took two weeks to fix. Verizon had to track down used parts from another state because the equipment was outdated.

I do not know where you find good service anymore. Paying more does not always mean getting better.

Thanks everyone for posting the “fix”. I’m currently travelling and could not make any calls this trip outside of Canada.

Regarding the emails, I receive two, one has a button to click, that authorizes the foreign IP address. The second email has a link with a lot of parameters but only brings me to the voip.ms log in screen and does not authorize the foreign IP address. I don’t always get the email with the link with the image button.

My purpose of voip.ms is to make calls as normal from anywhere and everywhere, this security check defeats the purpose. The current work around with the emails is half OK, I can deal with waiting for an email.